Nakayot Water and Food Security Project
|Donors||The Royal Danish Embassy, Kampala|
|Total Funding||UGX 1,913,611,913 (4,992,613 DKK) approximately US$1,093,493|
|Implementation Period||January 2010 to December 30, 2011|
|Target Groups||The project seeks to address the issue of inadequate access to water for domestic use and production by the 1800 resettled households in the targeted area.|
|Geographical Area||The Project is located in Nakayot village, Lorengecora Parish, Iriiri Sub-county, Bokora County, Moroto district|
The main goal of this project is to increase food security and access to water for chronically food insecure households in Moroto district.
Immediate objective of the project are:
- Increased access to water for food production and human consumption for the targeted communities in Moroto district.
- Increased food production among 1,800 targeted households in Nakayot, Moroto District within 2 years of project implementation
The project will achieve its goal through implementation of the following activities
- Mobilization and sensitization of communities and stakeholders about the project and definition of roles of various stakeholders.
- Construction of a water dam and irrigation system in the targeted community to provide reliable water source for food production.
- Establishment of a community farm house/training center to be used during farmer trainings while at the same time serving as community seed and food bank.
- Organizing farmers into solidarity working groups of ten households per group and training them in appropriate farming techniques.
- Providing farmers with start up seeds and farming tools
- Training farmers on tree planting and nursery bed management for environmental awareness and protection
- Training farmers in crop handling, post harvest handling (processing, storage, utilization and, marketing strategies). Farmers will also be trained in skills that will enable them to have better farm gate prices by adding value to their produce.
- Training and supporting farmers in the formation of CBOs/CBGs and formation of cooperative for purposes of accessing subsidies on farm in put and strategically marketing their products.
- Training and facilitation community farmer trainers who will continue to work as resource persons with in the community and provide farmers with technical support on their various agricultural initiatives.
- Establishment, training and facilitation of farm management and water user committees to ensure proper maintenance and management of both the dam and the irrigation system that will be established by the project.
- Provision of on going support to farmer groups in sustainable food production.
- Initiate and support coordination, networking and partnerships with relevant stakeholders in Moroto district.
- Support and facilitate peace building and conflict mitigation among the different tribes in Nakayot resettlement.
- Conducting joint monitoring between the project staff, district water and production departments, district and sub-county leaders and other NGOs such as A&D, WFP and FAO among others.